Wednesday, 24 October 2012

The reality check

Today I had an interesting experience during a routine visit to my doctor.  Some would even say confronting, although the reality is that it was in fact just a reality check.  Don't panic, it's all good!  Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself.
 
Every 6 months (ish) I have a routine check-up with my doctor - today was that day.  All was good, well until I popped onto the scales.  Now I will admit that I (and the lovely Wayne) have been slowly but surely gaining an extra pound here and there, and the occasional item of clothing has started to fit somewhat snugger (is that even a word?), but I wasn't prepared for what my dear doctor said.  He informed me (what I knew deep down) that I needed to lose some weight.  I guess the thing that surprised me was how much weight he suggested I lose.  At a minimum, 12 kilograms and a maximum of 20 kilograms!  I was thinking maybe 5 kilograms.  I guess that's why he's a doctor and I'm not - LOL.
 
Now I know that this isn't life and death kinda stuff, but it was the following conversation that gave me a rude awakening.  Doctor P checked my chart and announced that I am almost 46 (this is true) and that I'm at THAT AGE where it would be prudent to test me for every damn thing known to man!  Now I'm not afraid to admit (like most men) that I don't exactly embrace the idea of needles and the like, but seriously, I'm sure the only test I'm not having in coming weeks is a pregnancy test!
 
Anyhoo, I know that this is all sensible stuff to do, I just feel that I'm still far too young and vibrant to be bothering with such matters.  I mean to say, it's not like I'm as old as the lovely Wayne (love ya babe) - LOL.  So there you have my upcoming challenge - to lose weight over the coming months that encompass both my birthday and Christmas - heaven forbid I'll have to curb my wine intake.
 
Have you had an experience that has made you realise your actual age?  I'd love to hear about it, so feel free to leave a comment - it'll just be between the 2 of us ok!

G. xx

2 comments:

  1. I was told a similar thing last year after having continuing problems with my ankles - I was told to lose weight as I was putting too much pressure on them. Now I'm 8 kgs lighter, I have no more problems. I hated her at the time for telling me to lose weight but now I'm so glad I got the kick up the proverbial that I needed! I'm here for you if you need moral support as you go along....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8kg lighter Kirsty and looking fabbo - well done you! I may very well take you up on your offer of support by way of hints & tips etc.

      I'm ok with it and it was timely anyway as it's given me the kick in the behind that I needed. I think the reality check for me was not so much that I need to lose weight, but the amount I need to lose!

      And anyhoo, I told the lovely Wayne it was all his fault anyway - I mean to say, I was thin, young, and had a full head of hair when I met him - speaks volumes I reckon! LOL.

      G. xx

      Delete