Friday, 11 January 2013

Love and attention

A few days ago a lovely comment was left on my Year in Review post by Emily of Have A Laugh On Me (you need to check her blog out, seriously) in which she stated "...the love you have for Wayne is evident by how you write. It made me realise that maybe I need to smarten up a bit and pay more attention to my loved one, I tend to take him for granted and I know life is way to short for that!"  This comment made me think about our (the lovely Wayne & I) relationship and why it is the way it is.


One of the first things that came to mind is that being a gay couple with no children we haven't had to share each other's time with anyone else or be completely responsible for anyone other than us.  This has meant that we have been able to pay each other more attention and do stuff together (that said, we'd have traded it in a minute to be able to have children).  I must admit though, that having all that time and attention for each other did lead to taking each other for granted from time to time because we knew that we were each there.

As we're getting older, our relationship has evolved and I think it's stronger than it's ever been.  In recent years our work schedules have changed and we rarely have days off together unless one of us takes leave.  After many years of being together whenever we wanted, we've ended up having very little time so we make that time count.  I also understand the stresses placed on parents and why at times husbands, wives and partners take a back seat to the rest of the family due to those responsibilities (your children will thank you when they're adults).   I'm amazed and in awe on a daily basis by parents and how you all just do it - you are all awesome.  I guess we'll get our turn soon enough as we both have parents who aren't getting any younger and their welfare is now becoming more of a priority in our lives.

Anyhoo back to Emily's comment.  We all take people in our lives for granted from time to time, but the simple act of acknowledging it means that you indeed aren't necessarily doing it as bad as you think.  And remember peeps, a simple hug speaks volumes!

G. xx

2 comments:

  1. I love this post Gary. I am very guilty of not doing enough to show my husband that I love him as much as ever. Working and having kids and all the responsibilities of life does tend to sap the romance out of me most of the time but it's not that hard to make a little effort. Thanks for the timely reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty. Like I said, parents like yourself amaze me on a daily basis and I know as an adult I can appreciate the 'priority' that my parents placed on my sister and I. I guess Emily's comment made me think about how different (and probably indulgent) our lives have been due to not having children. That said, I still reckon being a parent would bring all manner of enrichment to your life - and something that money just can't buy!

      It all comes back to the simplest of things - a hug and those 3 magic little words whispered in your loved ones ear. Makes it all worthwhile.

      G. xx

      Delete