It is a sad fact that bullying and mental illness only ever get a showing in the media when something dreadful happens. When someone dies. Surely I’m not the only person who thinks that’s kinda fucked up wrong. Bullying and mental illness shouldn’t only be trotted out when someone dies as a result of them. They need to be discussed openly and people educated about them on a regular basis.
I’ve previously touched on being bullied when I was younger and the effect that had on me. Still has on me. Yes, it still messes with me. I still have dreadful bouts of depression and anxiety and have only recently acknowledged that sadly, it is here to stay. I maybe a 6 foot 1, 47 year old man but I still have days where I think there is only one way out. Thankfully they aren’t too regular and I can now recognise what they are and how to get myself through them. The battle never truly goes away though. There are days where I simply can’t function, when doing the morning routine (breakfast, shower, etc) is almost impossible, let alone leaving the house and negotiating traffic and work. And life. On the bad days I don’t make it to work and end up taking the day off with no pay. No pay – because that is easier than confessing that I’m one of those people with a mental illness. See, that there is the stigma that I’m talking about.
When we only highlight bullying and mental illness when people die, we feed the stigma that already exists. As a society we should be destigmatising bullying and mental illness. Without the stigma, maybe more people would seek and receive help, and hopefully not as many would die. Education is the key so people start to understand the toll that bullying and mental illness can have.
EDIT: Speaking of education, I encourage you to read this blog post by a fellow blogger Sandra. She has captured what is for me, the essence of depression (and is quite similar to how it affects me and many others).
I'm not looking for sympathy, just sharing my story and hopefully reducing the stigma associated with mental illness and bullying.
Lastly, please be kind to others, and spare a thought for victims of bullying and those with mental illness. They don’t want your pity, they want your understanding.
G. xx
If you need to talk to someone, please contact Lifeline: 13 11 14.

I'm so sorry Gary.
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you need to talk. I'm here.
Thanks Carly. No need to be sorry lovely, you of all people have nothing to be sorry about. You are an inspiration and your blog posts and honesty already do more than you realise.
DeleteG. xx
Oops, where are my manners? Thanks also for stopping by and commenting Carly ;-D
DeleteAh yes, the stigma. I have had to be brave enough to admit I have a Mental Illness because I needed to know what I was living had a name. Ironically, to admit I have Depression and Anxiety reassures me I am not crazy .... xo
ReplyDeleteI take my hat off to you Sandra as I've not necessarily been brave enough to admit it to others. To myself - well I guess I have and it has helped me get a better understanding of me.
DeleteAnd you lady are soooo NOT crazy. Knowing that you deal with depression and anxiety every day in addition to other challenges shows the courage that you have. You rock, seriously.
G. xx
PS, thank you for stopping by and commenting, and a special thanks for allowing me to link to your blog post too.
My pleasure xo PS I'm chuffed to be told I rock. ;-)
DeleteGreat post, Gary, and yes, you're right: we do need to talk about these more and reduce the stigma. Your image of the iceberg is right on. I also battle depression, but I'm still too ashamed to talk about it with most people. :( Good on you for posting this!!
ReplyDelete