Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Twenty 11 – a year in review

One of my favourite bloggers, Elizabeth of Scarlet Words, fills out a meme on her blog at the end of each year as a way of reflecting on the past year. I loved the idea of it so am going to have a go at it myself (despite being 11 days late in doing so!). Thanks to Elizabeth for sharing this brilliant idea and encouraging others to join in. Make sure you have a read of Elizabeth’s 2011: year in review.

Ok, here goes...

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Professionally, I really stepped outside my comfort zone at work and took on an additional role that really challenged me – and I loved it despite the stress and sleepless nights. Personally, I started this blog and started using Instagram – both of which were done to make me take more notice of the world around me and those that are in that world. To see the real beauty that is so easily overlooked. And I have to say it has been great and I’m loving the discoveries I’m making. Oh yes, I also caught public transport (train) all the way from Newcastle to Sydney and back! I don't do public transport as a rule.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t remember making any new year’s resolutions for 2011 however this year is going to be more of what I’ve done in Q1 and I’d like to be fitter, healthier and lighter by the end of the year. I also intend to blog more.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but 2 very dear friends have made a baby in 2011 and little Bubble (as he/she is affectionately known) will arrive in the first half of 2012.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully no.

5. What countries did you visit?
The only travel I did this year was with work – the furthest I ventured with work was Canberra - hmmm. The lovely Wayne and I didn’t even undertake our annual Melbourne sojourn this year – we were just too busy. We only ventured to Sydney on a few occasions this year too. Those that know us will know that that is sooo not us.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Time! And I guess fitness (see Q2).

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I guess our respective birthdays. The lovely Wayne’s because it was a milestone birthday (his 50th) and I was able to give him something he had always wanted – a helicopter pilot’s lesson (which he couldn’t stop talking about). My birthday is covered later on at Q29.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Challenging myself on a number of levels (both professionally and personally), but most of all, learning a lot about myself (some of it was hard to face/learn too!).

9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting some friendships slip a little – not in a bad way, just a consequence of being very time poor during the year and not blocking out enough time to make sure I spent time with friends.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
During the first half of the year I had a nasty bout of sinus that led to middle ear infections in both ears. These 2 ear infections turned nasty and resulted in me having 2 burst ear drums. Annoying to say the least.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
The lovely Wayne’s pilot’s lesson (see Q7). Those that know the lovely Wayne know that he doesn’t say a lot and keeps things to himself but he couldn’t stop talking about piloting a helicopter – it was like listening to a kid that had just been granted a wish of going to Disneyland.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
The lovely Wayne. He was definitely my rock this year and I couldn’t have achieved what I have this year without his love, support, patience and occasional reality check!

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
OMG where do you start? I guess the political leaders (and I use that term loosely) in Australia and their appalling decisions and policies regarding asylum seekers and marriage equality. For the first time in my life I felt embarrassed to be part of a society that was so backward in its thinking. There was also that woman who threw a puppy out of a high-rise because it messed on the carpet – I absolutely abhor cruelty to animals.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, bills, food, iTunes and Nespresso Pods.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Being given the opportunity to really extend myself at work and actually make a difference.

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?

This song appeals on a number of levels however at the end of the day it’s the self esteem, acceptance and equality that it makes one think about.  Not to mention the attention that it received!

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
a) Happier.
b) I may or may not be a wee bit umm, fuller figured shall we say!
c) Definitely not poorer – I’d like to say more enriched.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d told those that I care about that I care about them a lot more often than I did.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Procrastinate.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
I won’t bore you with this again, however we spent lunch with the lovely Wayne’s mum and dinner with my mum and dad. You can read all about it here.

21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I stayed in love – does that count? As I’ve said before, he’s my rock and I know he puts up with A LOT!
The lovely Wayne in the driver's seat ready for his lesson.

22. What was your favourite TV program?
We aren’t big TV heads however we have a few faves. The Graham Norton Show is an absolute scream, I can’t resist that domestic goddess Nigella Lawson, I love the wit of QI with Stephen Fry, and of course a just lurve Grand Designs with Kevin McLeod. Hmmm, just realised they’re all British shows. The lovely Wayne has insisted I also list Family Guy and Futurama!

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t like the word hate when talking about people. There’s probably 1 or 2 people that I dislike more than I did last year so we’ll just leave it at that.

24. What was the best book you read?
The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. A fantastic book that I couldn’t put down.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
There’s been a several this year (Adele, Katie Melua, Florence & the Machine to name a few), but the one that struck a chord with me was a song by Mindy Gledhill. It’s a beautiful song and it sums up my feelings towards the lovely Wayne. Yes I know, pathetic romantic alert!! LOL.

26. What did you want and get?
A better understanding of myself (inner peace if you like).

27. What did you want and not get?
Marriage.

28. What was your favourite film of this year?
I can (sadly) only recall going to the cinema once last year. We saw Money Ball late last year and enjoyed it.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 45 in November and was itching to do the public transport thing (yes I know, ever the adventurer!). We had the day off work together and travelled by train to Sydney where the lovely Wayne took me to the Picasso Exhibition at the Art Gallery of NSW and then to a favourite Spanish restaurant for dinner. Simple pleasures but I had the best day.

30. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Recognition and personal thanks from quite senior staff at work for my achievements and contributions throughout the year.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Extremes I guess. It was either suit and tie or shorts/jeans and t-shirt!

32. What kept you sane?
Being able to download to a few special people. Namely Michelle, Geraldine, and the lovely Wayne. You 3 have no idea just much your listening and encouraging words did for me. Oh yes, and there was Semillon Sauvignon Blanc too!

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hmmm, no one person in particular comes to mind.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
That would be pretty much a tie between Australia’s shyte policies and decisions regarding asylum seekers and marriage equality (see Q13).

35. Who did you miss?
2011 has been an unusual year in this regard. The lovely Wayne and I lost our beautiful little girl Sophie three and a half years ago after 12 wonderful years. Our little Jack Russell cross was the child we could never have and although it’s been 3 and a half years, I’ve really missed her this last year - painfully so. She has been in my thoughts pretty much every day.
The lovely Wayne and our Sophie

36. Who was the best new person you met?
This is a tough one as I made a number of new friends at work that have helped me heaps in my new role. I guess our neighbour Helen would be pretty close to the top of the list too – we are very lucky to have such a great neighbour. She’s definitely a kindred spirit.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
I learnt not to underestimate or doubt my abilities.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
On the radio, on every TV show
for each and every reason, each and every season.
Music when we love for the moon above,
music for the show of life that never ends.
Music on a plane, music on a train,
sailing in the ocean, music in the motion.
Music in your car, at your local bar.
There's music when you look at a star.

Can’t Stop the Music – Village People

And so there you have it dear reader, my 2011 year in review. I’d love to read your 2011 in review so please feel free to leave your answers (or a link to them) in the comments if you feel so inclined.

No comments:

Post a Comment