Thursday, 26 July 2012

What a fortnight!

Apologies up front if this post seems a bit ‘deep’ or upsetting but I wanted to share why I’m incredibly thankful tonight as I sit here writing this.  Note that I am in a good ‘place’ and am not seeking sympathy or the like.  There will even be a celebratory drink (or 3) tonight!  I guess I just want to ‘download’ and as I said, share why I’m thankful.

I’m thankful that I live in this fabulously modern country where urgent and up-to-the-minute medical treatments are available and accessible.  I’m thankful that in less than a fortnight, my dad was diagnosed with a brain tumour, had surgery to remove it, was then advised it was benign, and was given a clean bill of health.  I’m thankful that he is a very fit and healthy man who is already home and is recovering quickly.  I’m thankful that we can still give each other a good ribbing and that throughout the ups and downs of the last fortnight we kept a sense of humour.  I’m thankful for having a wonderful mum, sister, brother-in-law and how we form an amazing team when needed.  I’m thankful for my friends who have sat and listened when I needed to talk.  And lastly, I’m thankful for the lovely Wayne – the rock I have leaned on (heavily at times) this past fortnight as I (& he) supported my wonderful family.

Like I said at the start of this post, I’m actually quite happy and up beat as we’ve come through this last fortnight with a great outcome.  And I do have to confess that as is the way in our family, we always try to maintain a sense of humour no matter what.  I mean there’s already jokes and jibes happening amongst us all about this whole experience – I guess that’s our coping mechanism!

What are you thankful for?  And what coping mechanisms do you use in times of crisis?

My wonderful family





Linking up with Kate Says Stuff for Thankful Thursday via Kirsty from My Home Truths.

4 comments:

  1. Good on you for being thankful for the positives rather than wallowing in the negatives! That's the best kind of coping mechanism there is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HT&T, it truly is the only way to be. There's enough negativity out there without adding to it!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, Gary, what a stressful and scary time that must have been for all of you! It's amazing that all of that happened in just a couple of weeks. And what a wonderful relief to learn that the tumor was benign!

    It's so easy to take for granted the people we love - I'm happy that you're able to cherish your wonderful family. That your coping mechanism in times of crises is humor doesn't surprise me - you have a great sense of humor on your blog!

    Hugs to you and yours,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your (always) kind and thoughtful words Catherine. It was a stressful time but it's now very much a celebration. And yes, I do love my family to bits. As for the humour, how does that saying go....Laughter is the best medicine!

      G.

      Delete