Okie dokie, it's Monday which can only mean one thing - it's time to link up with Kirsty from My Home Truths for her I must confess... linkup. So what am I 'fessing up to this week? I'm following the prompt for this week which is your earliest childhood memory.
My earliest childhood memory surprises me in one respect but not in another. As the elder of 2 children (by almost 3 years) you would think that my earliest childhood memory would involve the arrival of my sister considering it would have changed the whole dynamic with my parents and I. But it isn't. I don't really have any memories of my sister until she was old enough to 'play'. Sorry Girly Girl. Ironically my first memory is from just a few weeks after her birth though.
When I was almost three, we moved house. Me, mum, dad and the Girly Girl. On the day we moved into our new home, I can vividly remember being installed at the front living room window (it went almost down to the floor) with my tin of matchbox cars so I could drive them along the window sill. Mum has since told me that was so I was out of the way, could watch what was happening and was still in sight of all concerned. I can still remember driving my matchbox cars and watching men lugging furniture into our home.
So why doesn't this memory surprise me? Well I've loved cars all my life and still do, so it's fitting that my earliest memory involves cars.
Anyhoo, like I said I'm linking up with Kirsty today for her I Must Confess... link-up.
Would you like to 'fess up about your earliest memory? Or do you have something else you'd like to confess? If so, leave a comment and/or link up over at My Home Truths - you'll feel better for it, trust me.
G. xx

That's a lovely memory G. Now the question remains, do you still have your matchbox cars? Thanks so much for linking up this week!
ReplyDeleteOMG here I go with another confession (or 3). No, I no longer have any of my matchbox cars although I do have a couple purchased as an adult (insert blushing icon here). This has prompted discussion here tonight with the lovely Wayne commenting about Lego. When we got together all those years ago, we both had a considerable 'collection' of Lego. Years later I donated it all to a disadvantaged school for hearing impaired children - he's never forgiven me!
DeleteThanks so much for stopping by and commenting Kirsty.
G. xx
Hi G, thanks for visiting my blog today. Boys and their toys! Matchbox cars & Lego are still flavour of the month in our house. Love your memory. I will keep the Lego "just in case" and keep the matchbox cars for any potential visitors who are car crazy. My dad still collects model cars so it must be a guy thing!
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa, thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.
DeleteLego and cars - what else is there for boys, big and small ;-) Probably ironic that my man works in the automotive industry too!
G. xx
That is so cute. I can just picture that and such practical parenting of that time (only 20 or so years ago) :-)
ReplyDeleteHey Sandra, thanks for stopping by and commenting - again!
DeleteParenting skills 101, and clearly it worked...LOL! And yes you're right, only 20 or so years ago...LOL.
As an aside, I've duly noted the time that you've commented - no gold star tonight young lady! LOL.
G. xx
I can remember my Brother's matchbox car collection and plastic case he guarded them in. I don't think he has then either.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Trish. I do remember guarding my cars too - they were out of bounds for my sister!
DeleteG. xx
I remember playing with my older brother's collection of matchbox cars with him when we were kids too. Then I had my boys and suddenly had to get down on the floor and play 'cars' with them and I was surprised that it wasn't so much fun anymore, for some reason lol
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Ness. I can relate to playing cars on the floor not being as much fun any more, but that's probably because these days I have the real thing - lol.
DeleteG. xx
What a cute memory! They say we remember things/events that have strong emotions attached to them, so I'm not surprised to hear you still love cars to this day ...
ReplyDeleteHi Janet, thanks for stopping by. I hadn't even considered that but you're right. That's made me think about Lego - but that's a whole other post there!
DeleteG. xx