Monday, 3 February 2014

Confessions of an elite athlete

Hi, I'm Gawee and I'm a sporadic slack as shit blogger.  Oops wrong confession!  I'm actually linking up with Kirsty from My Home Truths for her I must confess... link-up.  This week's prompt is sport.
 
I must confess, that I'm the pinnacle of athletic prowess, an elite athlete if you will.  No sport too difficult, no game too competitive, no match unwinnable.  I scoff at my opponents, adjust my gear (no not that) and proceed to annihilate them.  And then of course I wake from my slumber to realise I'm more sporty spice than sports star.  Okay, so maybe I'm not even sporty spice - old spice maybe?!
 
Okay, so onto my sporting life.  This won't take long.  As a youngster I played soccer, but my heart really wasn't in it.  Once I was old enough to exert some influence I started tennis and later, mixed netball.  There was also a smattering of orienteering thrown in there too.  I'm not terribly good at any of these sports (I'm a bit unco) but enjoy them, especially tennis and netball.  I'm actually better at netball than tennis.  Fancy, a gay man being good at netball - who'd have thought!
 
As a self confessed car nut, I was very fortunate that the lovely Wayne bought me a rally driving experience for one of my birthdays.  It was awesome, and I do believe the instructor (who had an uncanny resemblance to Robbie Williams) stated that I was a natural.  If you ever accept a lift from me, consider yourself warned that I'm a would-be rally driver!

image source

This brings me to my TV sport of choice.  I like a good rally, but particularly like the Dakar Rally.  I live for January each year so that I can watch the 30 minute snippets every night on SBS.  The lovely Wayne knows only too well that that is quiet time.  As for other kinds of racing, they bore me.  I can't think of anything worse than watching cars go round and round a circuit.  Hell, I even pity the poor drivers.
 
So there you have an insight into the life of a not-quite-elite-athlete.  If only wine and cheese consumption was an Olympic sport, I'd have shelves of medals!
 
Anyhoo, like I said I'm linking up with Kirsty today for her I Must Confess... link-up.


Would you like to 'fess up about your sporting prowess? Or do you have something else you'd like to confess? If so, head on over to My Home Truths and leave a comment/link - you'll feel better for it, trust me.
 
G. xx

3 comments:

  1. You should read Lydia's post for this week - she is a fellow Dakar Rally enthusiast. And I would totally be in with a shot for a medal for wine drinking - pity there is no such thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit in awe of Lydia actually - she is the Dakar Queen (I'm merely a princess!). I'm quietly confident that we would both get a spot on the Australian Wine Olympics team - hehe.

      And thanks so much for stopping by!

      G. xx

      Delete
  2. LOL, G! I love the Old Spice comment! Your writing is so entertaining!!

    ReplyDelete