This week is DonateLife Week (23 Feb to 2 March). DonateLife Week is Australia's national awareness week to promote organ and tissue donation.
Organ and tissue donation saves lives. One donor can transform the lives of up to 10 people and significantly improve the lives of many more. People of any age regardless of gender, ethnicity or religion can one day need a life-transforming or life-saving transplant. Around 1,500 people are on Australian organ transplant waiting lists at any one time.
This time last year I blogged about a lady (the friend of a friend) who had just received a double lung transplant. Like I said back then, I only 'know' Camille via my friend Carly and via social media, which is how I've been privy to her transplant journey. Camille recently celebrated the one year anniversary of receiving her new lungs - her lungiversary! During that time she has gone from relying on others and on oxygen, to now spending time with her active young nephews, riding her bike, going for long walks, walking her dog, travelling, working, and recently playing her first game of (her much loved) basketball in many years.
![]() |
| Camille trampolining with one of her nephews 11 months after her double lung transplant. |
Remember this is Camille's story, I'm just a very privileged onlooker who has witnessed (from afar) the amazing difference organ donation has made to her life. I encourage you can read about and see the difference to Camille's life in her own words here.
The majority of Australians are both willing to become organ and tissue donors and know that family confirmation is required for donation to take place. To optimise every potential organ and tissue donor, every Australian family needs to ask and know their loved ones' donation decisions. Although three in four Australians have discussed the subject with family members, only 53% of people know their loved ones' donation decisions. Importantly, 96% of those who do know their loved ones' donation decision say they would uphold their decision.
So please have the chat this week with your friends and family - how good would it be for everyone on the Australian organ transplant waiting list to experience what Camille has?
I'll leave the final words in this post to Camille. When I contacted Camille to ask if I could write about her and reference her blog and photos, her reply included this sentence...
If everyone could only see what a difference it can make - not only saving a life, but being able to begin again with a brand new life!
Kinda sums it up really. Thanks Camille, and Happy Lungiversary!
G. xx
Notes:
- Camille has kindly allowed me to share her story.
- This is NOT a sponsored post however it IS a subject that I am passionate about.

Beautiful story about Camille. Here in Utah (not sure if every state in the US), there's a place on our driver's license where we can indicate if we're a donor or not.
ReplyDelete