Monday, 21 May 2012

Just doing my job

Have you ever had one of those truly speechless days dear reader?  I did today.  Now that is a big call for me as anyone who knows me will attest, but alas, today I was left speechless and dare I say it, teary almost.

My boss had confided in me that she was moving on (so to speak) however this was announced officially at a management conference last week.  Now I have a lot of admiration and respect for my boss, and we have a great relationship but I was totally unprepared for what happened today at work.

My boss and I publish an e-newsletter each week to over 700 staff, so imagine my surprise when as part of her announcement to staff that she is moving on, she devoted a whole column in the newsletter to praising me.  I had no idea she was doing this and was taken aback as I feel that I am simply ‘doing my job’.  Suffice to say, I was a little moist in the eye area at the fact that I had not only received such recognition, but that it was in effect, in front of over 700 staff.

Now I have to confess that praise is something that I don’t handle well, so today has been a day of mixed emotions.  I’ve felt elation (and a tinge of embarrassment) at the praise I have received, pride at the recognition for a job well done, and sadness at the fact that soon I will no longer be working for such a great boss.

So there you have it, my take on an unexpected day.  Have you ever received unexpected praise?  How did it affect you?  Please share your story as a link or a comment.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's wonderful!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. I've been embrrassed on a daily basis since with people coming up to me and making comments about the praise, albeit lovely comments. Like I said though, I don't 'do' praise terribly well! Insert rolling eyes here....LOL.

      Delete
  2. You deserved the praise - you do a very good job, even if you think you are only doing your job! Good luck with your next boss, I hope they also recognize your talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty, you're far too kind. Sad thing is I'm gonna miss working with your great (and very supportive) team.

      Delete