Monday, 24 February 2014

being gawee history 101

Well it's kind of a history lesson!  I'm linking up with Kirsty over at My Home Truths for her weekly I must confess linkup.  The theme for this week is all about blog names, how they came about and whether you would change them.
 
This is where the history bit comes in.  You see, this blog of mine did have a previous iteration.  Way back when I decided to try my hand at blogging I needed a name.  It was one of those moments when I found myself signing up to start the blog on a whim and had to insert a name!  OMG, what to write.  Being the juvenile that I am I harked back to a high school summer camp thingy (can't remember the proper turn of phrase for this - too much wine!) where we had to form into groups.  As the teen with the loudest voice (things never change) I was in charge of a group.  I deemed that the group be called the Marsha Brady Fan Club.  So almost 30 years later, I decided to call my blog the Marsha Brady Fan Club!  What was I thinking?  Clearly bugger all (I'd probably had a wine or 7).
 
The name lasted a few months before I realised that it had absolutely nothing to do with my blog.  Let's face it, my blog is pretty much about me, the lovely Wayne and topics that I feel inspired to write about.  But in essence, it's all about me daaahhling!  Anyhoo, to better reflect what my blog is about I changed the name to Being Gawee.  'Gawee' because my name is Gary and I get called Gawee on occasion by my nearest and dearest, and it made sense to add the 'Being' because it is all about me.  About being Gawee.  So there you have it, a little Being Gawee history lesson.
 
As for changing the name again, probably not.  Suffice to say I have established another name for an idea that I'm currently fleshing out.  That's all I'll say on that for now, I do have to have some surprises don't I?
 
Anyhoo, like I said I'm linking up with Kirsty today for her I Must Confess... link-up.
 

Do you have something you'd like to confess? If so, head on over to My Home Truths and leave a comment/link - you'll feel better for it, trust me.
 
G. xx
 

8 comments:

  1. Your blog title is very cute ... said like a child with a lisp ...but does it match the author?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, thanks Janet. Gawee is the oldest nickname I have as that is what my sister called me when we were infants.

      As for matching the author, are you referring to 'very cute' or 'with a lisp'? As for the reality, neither apply!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      G. xx

      Delete
  2. There is another idea for a title I could pinch, er...I mean use as inspiration: Being Bogan. Has a ring to it. Your secret new name sounds intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Ness, love it. What about "the Bogan Bunch"? As for the secret name, it lends itself extremely well to your naming conventions, trust me!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      G. xx

      Delete
  3. LMAO at Marsha Brady Fan club! Really??? :P
    First time here and I must say I do like your blog name and the story behind it...in the end, it's about you. And well, what better way to say it's a blog about you than having your name in the title! Agree with Janet that it sounds like a kid saying the name...very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psych Babbler - interesting name. If you've studied psych, please don't read my blog any further as I'm sure you'd recommend I was committed! LOL.

      And yes, I really did call my blog Marsha Brady Fan Club (I'm hanging my head in shame right now - truly!). Thanks for the kind words about my 'new and improved' blog name, it is better than the previous name.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting. And you're welcome to stop by again as long as you don't have me committed! :P

      G. xx

      Delete
  4. Hahaha *snort* Love the original name, totally gave me a giggle! Great story behind it!

    MC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story! Your original name, "The Marsha Brady Fan Club", is what popped out at me when I saw your blog listed with a bazillion others on Fat Mum Slim's list of blogs participating in her Photo-a-Day Challenge! It was very eye-catching and I remember thinking, "Ok, I've gotta check out what kind of weirdo has a Marsha Brady Fan Club!" (Just kidding.... Kind of.) I love your new blog name; it's perfect. If I used the same logic for my blog, it'd be called "Being Beppo" (my nickname). :)

    ReplyDelete